Most people do not suffer from bee/stinging insect allergies. Even most people who do, according to WebMD, will suffer from more severe than usual swelling, itching, and pain that generally peaks after 48 hours and resolves itself after five to ten days. But for some people with insect bite allergies, the reaction can be very severe, including trouble breathing, swelling around the throat, mouth and face, and a sudden drop in blood pressure. In that event, you need to seek emergency treatment immediately.
For a severe allergic reaction to a bee or other insect sting, you will need an injection of epinephrine, which you can do yourself, even before you call 911. This should stop the most severe symptoms. But you will still need to go to the emergency room for treatment, perhaps for an overnight stay for observation until the crisis has passed.
If you have a severe bee/stinging insect allergy, you need to do a number of things.
First, you need to carry epinephrine with you at all times. Your physician will be able to instruct you in its use. The drug will likely save your life if you get stung and start having a severe reaction. Also, if you are engaged in outside activities, always have a friend or family member with you who can render aid if you get stung.
Next, you should take measures to avoid being stung, to begin with. Exercise some situational awareness and avoid nests of stinging insects and plants, such as flowers, that attract them. Wear long-sleeved shirts, pants, and shoes and socks when you are outside. Put screens on your doors, and spray garbage cans to keep insects away. The principle, as with much else, is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
For more information contact us.